My oldest son, TheBoy, started Junior Kindergarten this week and I found myself asking him the same question everyday on the car ride home, “How was school?”. To which I would get the bored response: “OK.”
To be fair, it is TheBoy’s first year at school and spending six hours of his day there, when he’s used to be at home with me, I know he’s tired and exhausted by the end of the day. But I have to admit that I am more than curious as to what he does all day. Does he talk to anyone? What does he do during recess? Does he like his teacher?
So I came up with a list of better questions to ask, rather than the typical “How was school?”.
- What did you eat first for snack/lunch today?
- What games or toys did you play with at recess?
- How would you rate your day on a scale of 1 to 10? Why?
- What do you hope to learn before the school year is over?
- What did you enjoy doing most today?
- What area of the class is the most fun?
- What’s the funniest thing that happened today?
- What are you excited to do tomorrow?
- Who do you want to be better friends with?
- Tell me something that made you laugh today.
By asking your kiddos these open ended questions, hopefully you’ll receive an answer that’s more than the typical “good, fine, yes, no…” 😬.
Do you have questions that you like to ask your kids at the end of the day?
Have a wonderful weekend and yay to all the parents and kiddos who survived their first week of school!