It’s another beautiful Monday and with it comes the opportunity to re-focus and be refreshed. So, our mama monday moment today is a mash-up of spiritual and physical health. Hey, I may even throw some emotional health in there too 🙂
I was recently introduced to the practice of Daily Examen, a spiritual exercise encouraged by St. Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556). [If you’re interested in a little more background, I found this website helpful. Worth the read!]
This technique is/was typically followed twice a day- at lunch and in the evening. I’ve found it to be a sacred time of prayerful communion with the Lord. One day I decided to mix things up a little by combining this time of prayer with some basic stretches. I found this beneficial for a couple reasons:
1. I often remember something better if I have an action associated with it.
2. As a young mom I spend most of my day bending over to pick up toys or lift little ones into my arms, with minimal sleep and a postpartum body. In short, my body takes a beating and I find stretching to be a simple self-care technique.
So, why don’t you consider integrating Examen stretching into your day as well? Here’s what I would encourage you to do.
Step 1: Put children in their rooms for naps/quiet time and get into something comfortable. (Oh look at that…yoga pants again!)
Step 2: Find a quiet, clutter-free spot (sometimes hard in my house) and work through these 5 steps in prayer and reflection, while stretching. You could think up a specific movement for each step, or just stretch throughout this time.
1. Become aware of God’s presence
2. Review the day with gratitude.
3. Pay attention to your emotions.
4. Choose one feature of the day and pray from it.
5. Look toward tomorrow.
Remember, you are known and loved by the Creator and He delights in you! Spend time with Him today and be refreshed!
Grace and peace to you, loved ones.