I love muffins. And cupcakes. And while we’re discussing it, anything that ends in cake. Unfortunately though, I gain approximately 10.7 pounds every time I eat any of the above. So I’ve been on the hunt for a healthier alternative. This one is super yummy! I altered the ingredients slightly from the original.
What you’ll need:
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 1/4 cups
- Organic Quick Oats – 1 1/4 cups
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- Homemade (or unsweetened store bought) Applesauce – 1 cup
- Whipping Cream – 1/2 cup
- Brown Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Egg – 1
- Blueberries – 3/4 cup
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
3. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon). Set aside.
4. In another bowl, combine the following ingredients (applesauce, cream, coconut oil, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and egg).
5. Now add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold the mixture. Do not overmix!
6. Add the blueberries and fold.
7. Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners.
8. Place the muffins in the oven for 16-18 minutes.
I used my Vitamix for the below recipes.
- 2 peeled, cored and chopped apples
- 2-3 large carrots
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
Blend well in a food processor, or high powered blender! So yummy and a great way to sneak in veggies 😉
Honey Cashew Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews soaked for 1 hour, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup local raw honey
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Blend in a food processor or high powered blender!