Nothing beats a nice soup come fall time. I know we aren’t quite at fall yet but this is one of my favorite recipes and we eat it all year ’round.
What you’ll need:
- 8 cups frozen broccoli flourettes
- 4 cups chicken broth (or use a vegetable broth to make this dish vegetarian safe)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 cups of milk
- 3 cups shredded cheese (cheddar works great, I will be using marble and mozzarella)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put broccoli, broth and thyme in your slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours
- If you like a more blended and uniform soup, blend the soup in a food processor or mash all the chunkies in the soup. If you like the chunks, skip this step.
- Pour the soup into a large soup pan and on low-medium head mix in milk and cheese and stir constantly until the cheese is melted *taking care NOT to boil the soup!
Serve up with some nice garlic bread and it’s a great hearty meal. This makes a lot of soup. For my family of 2.5, it’s about 2 meals worth. Half will serve us 2 times each and the other half can freeze for another cold day.